Increasing Your Email App's Attachment Limit
Did you know that your email app and your email service provider may have different attachment size limits? If you send an email with an attachment that your app allows, but is too big for your service provider then your message will likely be deemed undeliverable.
For example, Gmail and Yahoo allow attachments of 25 MB per message while Outlook.com and Hotmail cap your attachments at 10 MB. If you are logging into your email on the web, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you use an email app like Outlook (not outlook.com), it caps attachments at 20 MB.
You could be missing out on an extra 5 MB if you are with Gmail or Yahoo, or you could be getting a frustrating number of bounced back messages if you are using outlook.com or Hotmail.
The good news is, you can set your email app to match that of your provider via a registry tweak. Let's go through an example with Outlook as it is one of the most common email apps out there.
1. Type "run" in your Start Menu's search bar and select the Run app or simply press the Windows key + r.
2. In the Run dialogue box type "regedit" and click "OK".
3. Depending on your version of Outlook, follow the applicable path:
- Outlook 2019 and 2016: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\\Preferences
- Outlook 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\\Preferences
- Outlook 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\\Preferences
4. Once in preferences, double-click "MaximumAttachmentSize" from the right-hand menu (If you don't see MaximumAttachmentSize, add a registry key and value. Go to Edit, select New > DWORD Value, enter MaximumAttachmentSize, and press Enter.)
5. In the Edit DWORD value pop-up you will see a value box, which is in KB. To increase your size limit to 25 MB, enter 25600 in the value box, or 10240 to decrease the limit to 10 MB. Note that these are binary conversions.
6. Click "OK" and exit out of the registry editor.
Still feeling a little confused? We can help! Concept Computers offers remote, in-store and on-site services.
To speak to us about all your computer needs, come see us in-store at our new location at 1257 Marine Drive in North Vancouver or give us a call at 604-986-7680.
For more information about us, our products and services visit our website at www.conceptcomputers.ca.
Now offering website design services!